Supporting families during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak we appreciate that supporting families in the usual way will prove difficult. We advise that health professionals should follow their current local guidance with regard to providing face-to-face contact with families.
Most contacts will involve you giving safer sleep advice and emotional support over the telephone and we would like to support you with this.
We also have videos and animations.
For more information on caring for your baby and the coronavirus, please click here.
The Lullaby Trust Information Helpline (0808 802 6869) is available for general safer sleep advice.
Useful resources for guidance
Our advice to parents on coronavirus (COVID-19) and caring for your baby
If you have a young baby, continue to follow public health advice:
- Continue to breastfeed your baby if you are doing so
- It is important that you continue to follow safer sleep advice to lower the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- If you show symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) try not to cough or sneeze on your baby. Make sure they are in their own separate sleep space such as a cot or Moses basket
- If your baby is unwell with a cold or fever don’t be tempted to wrap them up more than usual. Babies need fewer layers to lower their body temperature. Click here for more advice on temperature
- Always seek medical advice if you are worried about your baby – either linked to coronavirus (COVID-19) or any other health issues
Free Safer Sleep Presentations for parents
We have created a series of presentations on safer sleep that can be shared with families. They can be accessed below or this link sent to parents www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep-advice/safer-sleep-for-babies-online-presentations/
Safer sleep for babies – Sleep position, sleep environment and bedding
Find out more about the safest way to put your baby down to sleep for both daytime naps and at night.
Safer sleep for babies – Overheating, temperature and overwrapping
Find out more about the safest room temperature for your baby and the risk associated with overheating and overwrapping your baby.
Safer sleep for babies – Baby ill-health, Baby Check app and vaccination
Find out more information about checking for signs that your baby maybe unwell, how to use the Baby Check app and the importance of vaccinating your baby.
Safer sleep for babies – Breastfeeding
Find out more about the benefits of breastfeeding.
Safer sleep for babies – Smoking and e-cigarettes
Find out more about the benefits of not smoking before and after your baby is born.