Parents who have experienced a sudden and unexpected death of a baby often feel anxious when they have another baby. Working with local public healthcare providers we facilitate a service for bereaved parents.
CONI is available through health visitors, midwives, paediatricians and GPs, but unfortunately CONI is not available everywhere.
Through CONI, parents may:
- receive regular home visits from their health visitor, so they can talk freely about any worries and seek advice
- borrow movement monitors which pick up movements as the baby breathes, and will ring an alarm if movements stop for longer than 20 seconds
- receive training on basic life support so parents will know what to do if their baby stops breathing
- keep a symptom diary to record their baby’s health, which they can then discuss with their health visitor
- use the Baby Check booklet or App to help to decide when to get medical help for their baby
- monitor their baby’s growth with a detailed weight chart to detect changes that may mean baby should be checked by a doctor
- receive a room thermometer and guidance on bedding and clothing
- receive a ‘passport’ so that if the parents’ are worried that their baby is unwell, they can be seen quickly by the right person
“Following the death of Joe, when I fell pregnant with Alfie I was obviously delighted, but extremely anxious. The CONI programme was a tremendous support. I couldn’t have coped without it.” – Tracey, South London
Availability of CONI in your area
CONI is currently available in many areas of England, Wales, Northern Ireland. Each area has a local co-ordinator who will discuss with parents the support available and arrange a plan of care with parents and professionals.
The programme is usually offered for 6 months after the baby is born but may be longer depending on the individual circumstances.
For further details about CONI and the availability of CONI in your area, please contact The Lullaby Trust 0808 802 6869 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
It is really helpful to us to get the views of parents who have used our Care of Next Infant (CONI) programme. If you’d like to give us your opinion of the programme, please fill in the form here.